ISBN: 978-0-631-19606-8 February 1995 Wiley-Blackwell 264 Pages
Download Product Flyer
Table of contents
List of Figures.
1. The Emergence of England.
2. Communitas Anglie.
3. The First English Empire.
4. From Cromwell to Cromwell.
5. The Long Eighteenth Century.
6. The Great Climacteric.
"This work is thoughtful, witty, and graceful in style, a marvel of compression ... Elton argues forcefully that the English formed, and were formed by, a unique reconciliation of individual freedom with monarchically supervised order. Like Joseph Strayer's on The Medieval Origins of the Modern State (1986), this splendid work is a brief distillation of a lifetime of thoughtful scholarship and deep reflection." Choice
"Anyone may enjoy this book." The Times
"A study that is both authoritative and individualistic, showing a full awareness but not a full acceptance of recent research." Teaching History
* Written by one of the world's best known and most distinguished historians.
* Illustrated by maps, plus a full chronology and family trees.
* Over 12000 sold in hardback.