1 One hundred years of film theory
2 Hollywood's last decade
3 The limits of translation: transnational film
4 Assemblage: editing space-time
5 Innocent monsters: film and other media
6 Inertia: on energy and film
"Harbord's is a major new voice in film studies, harking back to the classical film theory of Bazin, Kracauer and Epstein, and echoing forward into the twenty-first century. The Evolution of Film makes a decisive contribution to the study of cinema, and to our understandings of the contemporary."
Sean Cubitt, University of Melbourne
- A punchy and original upper-level film studies textbook.
- Offers a new way of thinking about film studies in the 21st Century and developments like globalisation and technology.
- Introduces a range of theorists who have not been brought to bear on the subject before now.
- Is adoptable at 3rd year undergraduate level and on the popular taught MAs in film studies.
- Will be welcomed as a fresh, cutting edge overview of a very popular subject.