Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: The Financial Numbers Game: Detecting Creative Accounting Practices
More Than a Numbers Game: A Brief History of Accounting (Hardcover $35.95)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
Rewards of the Game.
Classifying Creative Accounting Practices.
Plan of This Book.
2 How the Game Is Played.
Accounting Policy Choice and Application.
Fraudulent Financial Reporting.
Cleaning Up after the Game.
3 Earnings Management: A Closer Look.
What Is Earnings Management?
Incentives and Conditions for Earnings Management.
Earnings Management Techniques.
Evidence of Earnings Management.
Effectiveness of Earnings Management.
Is Earnings Management Good or Bad?
4 The SEC Responds.
The Chairman’s Speech.
The Action Plan.
Enforcing the Securities Laws.
5 Financial Professionals Speak Out.
Survey of Financial Professionals.
6 Recognizing Premature or Fictitious Revenue.
Is It Premature or Fictitious Revenue?
When Should Revenue Be Recognized?
Detecting Premature or Fictitious Revenue.
Checklist to Detect Premature or Fictitious Revenue.
7 Aggressive Capitalization and Extended Amortization Policies.
Detecting Aggressive Cost Capitalization Policies.
Amortizing Capitalized Costs.
Detecting Extended Amortization Periods.
Checklist to Detect Aggressive Capitalization and Extended Amortization Policies.
8 Misreported Assets and Liabilities.
Link with Reported Earnings.
Boosting Shareholders’ Equity.
Checklist to Detect Misreported Assets and Liabilities.
9 Getting Creative with the Income Statement: Classification and Disclosure.
Current Income Statement Requirements and Practices.
Reporting Comprehensive Income.
Creative Income Statement Classifications.
Creativity with Other Aspects of the Income Statement.
10 Getting Creative with the Income Statement: Pro-Forma Measures of Earnings.
Recasting the Bottom Line: Pro-Forma Earnings Measures.
11 Problems with Cash Flow Reporting.
Reporting Cash Flow.
Problems with Reported Operating Cash Flow.
Using Operating Cash Flow to Detect Creative Accounting Practices.
Checklist for Using Operating Cash Flow to Detect Creative Accounting Practices.
- Updated with an extensive new Forward
- Now available as a new lower-priced paperback!
- Describes accounting problems that are so rampant in the business world today.
- Examples of aggressive and fraudulent revenue recognition and how to detect it.
- Tells students what to look for as signs of earnings manipulation based on interviews of financial analysts and lenders.
- Checklists that provides a student-ready instrument for detecting accounting misdeeds.
- Identifies the steps companies take to misstate financial performance and show how to detect misleading financial statements, including actual company examples.
- Shows how early detection of misleading financial reports can lead to corrective action and opportunity to avoid negative earnings surprises and share-price declines.