This item: The Forests Handbook, Volume 1: An Overview of Forest Science
Part 1: Forest Resources and Types.
1. Global Forest Resources - History and Dynamics.
2. Forest Types and Classification.
Part 2: Biological and Ecological Processes.
3. Genetics and Speciation in the World's Forests.
4. Structural Dynamics of Forest Stands and Natural Processes.
5. Biological Interactions and Disturbance - Plants and Animals.
6. Biological Interactions and Disturbance - Invertebrates.
Part 3: Environmental Interactions.
7. Forest Soils.
8. Ecophysiology of Forests.
9. Models for Pure and Mixed Forests.
10. Forests and the Atmosphere.
11. Environmental Stresses to Forests.
12. Forest Hydrology.
Part 4: Social Factors and the Human Interface.
13. Trees in the Urban Environment.
14. The Importance of Social Values.
15. Non-Timber Forest Products and Rural Poverty: An Economic Analysis.
Synthesis and conclusions.
- provides a unique compilation of an overview of much of modern forest science and its application to sustainable forestry management
- Written by an international team of expert scientists and practitioners.
- Draws on examples and cites practices and experience from a great many countries.