Foreword: Peter Singer.
1. The Future of Animal Farming: Roland Bonney and Marian Stamp Dawkins.
Part I: Voices for Change.
2. The Ethics of Agriculture: The End of True Husbandry: Bernie Rollin.
3. Why Farm Animals Matter: Mary Midgley.
4. The Urgency of Change: A View From a Campaigning Organization: Joyce D’Silva.
5. Environmental Ethics and Animal Welfare: Re-Forging a Necessary Alliance: Kate Rawles.
Part II: Bringing About Change.
6. The Business of Farm Animal Welfare: Roland Bonney.
7. What is Good Welfare and How Can We Achieve It?: Marian Stamp Dawkins.
8. Animal Needs and Commercial Needs: Ruth Layton.
9. Hard Work and Sustained Effort Required to Improve Livestock Handling and Change Industry Practice: Temple Grandin.
10. Bringing About Change: A Retailer’s View: Michelle Waterman.
11. Animal Welfare as a Business Priority: Keith Kenny.
12. Providing Assurance on Welfare: David C.J. Main.
13. The Role of Assurance Schemes and Public Pressure: Colin Spedding.
14. Improving the Welfare of Cattle: Practical Experience in Brazil: Mateus J.R. Paranhos da Costa.
15. Organic Farming and Animal Welfare: Helen Browning.
16. Enlightened Agriculture and the New Agrarianism: Colin Tudge.
17. Conclusions: Marian Stamp Dawkins and Roland Bonney.