Notes on Contributors.
Different Voices, Different Views: An Introduction to Current Research in Language and Gender (Janet Holmes and Miriam Meyerhoff).
Part I: History and theoretical Background to the Study of language and Gender.
1. Theorizing Gender in Sociolinguistics and Linguistic Anthropology (Bonnie McElhinny).
2. Theories of Discourse as Theories of Gender: Discourse Analysis in Language and Gender Studies (Mary Bucholtz).
3. "What’s in a Name?" Social Labeling and Gender Practices (Sally McConnell-Ginet).
4. Variation in Language and Gender (Suzanne Romaine).
5. Language and Desire (Don Lulick).
6. "One Man in Two is a Woman": Linguistic Approaches to Gender in Literary Texts (Anna Livia).
Part II: Negotiating Relations.
7. Language, Gender, and Politics: Putting "Women" and "Power" in the Same Sentence (Robin Lakoff).
8. Gender and Family Interaction (Deborah Tannen).
9. Gender and Power in On-line Communication (Susan C. Herring).
10. The Relevance of Ethnicity, Class, and Gender in Children's Peer Negotiations (Marjorie Harness Goodwin).
11. The Power of Gender Ideologies in Discourse (Susan U. Philips).
Part III: Authenticity and Place.
12. Crossing Genders, Mixing Languages: The Linguistic Construction of Transgenderism in Tonga (Niko Besnier).
13. Claiming a Place: Gender, Knowledge, and Authority as Emergent Properties (Miriam Meyerhoff).
14. Constructing and Managing Male Exclusivity in Talk-in-interaction (Jack Sidnell).
15. Exceptional Speakers: Contested and Problematized Gender Identities (Kira Hall).
16. Language and Gender in Adolescence (Penelope Eckert).
17. Language and Gendered Modernity (William L. Leap).
18. A Marked Man: The Contexts o Gender and Ethnicity (Sara Trechter).
Part IV: Stereotypes and Norms.
19. Gender and Language Ideologies (Deborah Cameron).
20. Gender Stereotypes: Reproduction and Challenge (Mary Talbot).
21. Gender and Identity: Representation and Social Action (Ann Weatherall and Cindy Gallois).
22. Prestige, Cultural Models, and Other Ways to Talking About Underlying Norms and Gender (Scott Fabius Kiesling).
23. Communicating Gendered Professional Identity: Competence, Cooperation, and Conflict in the Workplace (Caja Thimm, Sabine C. Koch, and Sabine Schey).
24. Linguistic Sexism and Feminist Linguistic Activism (Anne Pauwels).
Part V: Institutional Discourse.
25. "Feminine" Workplaces: Stereotype and Reality (Janet Holmes and Maria Stubbe).
26. Creating Gendered Demeanors of Authority at Work and at Home (Shari Kendall).
27. Schooled Language: Language and Gender in Educational Settings (Joan Swann).
28. Coercing Gender: Language in Sexual Assault Adjudication Processes (Susan Ehrlich).
29. Multiple Identities: The Roles of Female Parliamentarians in the EU Parliament (Ruth Wodak).
Epilogue: reflections on Language and Gender Research (Alice F. Freed).