DescriptionA heart healthy regimen needn’t be torture. Two hours on a stationary bike, followed by a dish of low-fat cottage cheese topped with a lonely sprig of parsley may be your idea of what it takes to maintain heart health—but it’s actually a lot more enjoyable and fun! Cardiac fitness, like any new lifestyle plan, can be achieved with only a few basic modifications to your diet and activity level.
With The Healthy Heart Cookbook For Dummies, you’ll follow an exciting and delicious food regimen, destined to give you and your heart a boost. Written by James Rippe, a leading cardiologist and chef, and with over 100 recipes from a cadre of expert dietitians and fifty top chefs, you’ll discover some of the secrets to heart health, some common fallacies, and get the lowdown on a few life-saving basics:
- The risk factors for heart disease—and how to control them
- The eight key eating habits affecting heart health—includ ing the number of calories, cholesterol and fat, and antioxidant-rich foods you consume
- “Bad” versus “good” cholesterol—the world of saturated, monosaturated, and polyunsaturated fats
- Nature’s gift to health—phytochemicals and what foods contain them
- Smart shopping tips—including common supermarket traps, and how to select produce, meats, seafood, dairy, grains, and from the deli counter
You’ll discover what a snap it is to prepare your own menu, assemble meals that are nutritious and balanced and also meet every sort of dietary need (including high blood pressure, diabetes, and food allergies). The book’s rich cornucopia of recipes will help you explore the delicious possibilities of every meal and dish, including:
- Breakfast and brunch—including Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins, Peach Scones, and Eggs Benedict with Asparagus and Low-Fat Hollandaise Sauce
- Appetizers and snacks—including Homemade Dill and Celery Seed Hummus and Chilled Hapa Shrimp Rolls and Thai Citrus Dipping Sauce
- Seafood—including Red Snapper with Braised Fennel and Spinach and Seared Scallops in Grilled Eggplant with Mango Salad
- Poultry and Meat—including Lemon-Grilled Cornish Hens, Healthy Heart Beef Stroganoff, and Herb-Crusted Lamb Loin with Braised Fennel and Fresh Mint
- Vegetarian Entrees—including Curried Tofu and Vegetable-Stuffed Pitas with Cashews and Raisins
PART I: Building a Healthy Heart.
Chapter 1: Choosing a Healthy-Heart Lifestyle.
Chapter 2: You Are What You Eat: The Link between Your Diet and Your Heart.
Chapter 3: Cooking Heart-Healthy Meals.
Chapter 4: A Grocery Store Guide to Healthy-Heart Shopping.
Chapter 5: How to Plan a Heart-Healthy Meal.
PART II: Laying the Foundation: The Main Course.
Chapter 6: Breakfast and Brunch.
Chapter 7: Poultry and Meat.
Chapter 8: Seafood.
Chapter 9: Vegetarian Entrees.
Chapter 10: Special Occasion Dishes.
PART III: Adding the Extras: Recipes for Before and After the Main Course.
Chapter 11: Beverages.
Chapter 12: Appetizers and Snacks.
Chapter 13: Soups and Salads.
Chapter 14: Side Dishes.
Chapter 15: Desserts.
PART IV: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 16: Ten Tips for Eating on the Road and on the Run.
Chapter 17: Ten Simple Steps to Make Your Diet Healthier.
Chapter 18: Ten Easy Recipe Modifications for a Heart-Healthy Diet.
Chapter 19: Ten Simple Strategies for Lowering Your Cholesterol.
Chapter 20: Ten Ways to Teach Your Children Healthy-Heart Habits.
Chapter 21: Ten Essential Kitchen Tools for Healthy-Heart Cooking.
Book Registration Information.