The Impact Investor: Lessons in Leadership and Strategy for Collaborative Capitalism
DescriptionYour money can change the world
The Impact Investor: Lessons in Leadership and Strategy for Collaborative Capitalism offers precise details on what, exactly, impact investing entails, embodied in the experiences and best and proven practices of some of the world's most successful impact investors, across asset classes, geographies and areas of impact. The book discusses the parameters of impact investing in unprecedented detail and clarity, providing both context and tools to those eager to engage in the generational shift in the way finance and business is being approached in the new era of Collaborative Capitalism.
The book presents a simple thesis with clarity and conviction: "Impact investing can be done successfully. This is what success looks like, and this is what it requires." With much-needed lessons for practitioners, the authors view impact investing as a harbinger of a new, more "multilingual" (cross-sector), transparent, and accountable form of economic leadership.
The Impact Investor: Lessons in Leadership and Strategy for Collaborative Capitalism serves as a resource for a variety of players in finance and business, including:
- Investors: It demonstrates not only the types of investments which can be profitable and impactful, but also details best practices that, with roots in impact investing, will increasingly play a role in undergirding the success of all investment strategies.
- Wealth advisors/financial services professionals: With unprecedented detail on the innovative structures and strategies of impact investing funds, the book provides guidance to financial institutions on how to incorporate these investments in client portfolios.
- Foundations: The book explores the many catalytic and innovative ways for for-profit and non-profit investors to partner, amplifying the potential social and environmental impacts of philanthropic spending and market-rate endowment investment.
- Business students: By including strategies for making sound impact investments based on detailed case studies, it provides concrete lessons and explores the skills required to enhance prospects for success as a finance and business professional.
- Policy makers: Reinforcing the urgency of creating a supportive and enabling environment for impact investing, the book demonstrates ways policy has already shaped the sector, and suggests new ways for policymakers to support it.
- Corporate leaders: The book includes essential advice on the way business is and must be responding to a new generation of Millennial clients and customers, with unique insights into a form of value creation that is inherently more collaborative and outcomes-driven.
Tables and Figures ix
Foreword by Sir Ronald Cohen xi
Part One Key Practices and Drivers Underlying Impact Investing 17
1 Inside Collaborative Capitalism 19
The Roots of Collaborative Capitalism 20
The Collaborative Capitalism Pyramid 34
Three Core Elements of Collaborative Capitalism 39
Putting It All Together: Collaborative Capitalism in Action 44
Looking Ahead 56
2 Raising the Curtain on Impact Investing 58
Sizing the Market 62
Key Actors and Activities 66
The Fund Perspective 73
The Twelve Funds 81
Performance Numbers 93
The Impact Investing Fund Landscape 98
Part Two Four Key Elements of Successful Impact Investing 109
3 Impact DNA 111
A Means to an End 114
The Need for Clarity 117
The Impact Value Chain and Theories of Change 118
Getting Everyone Aligned 127
From First to Last: Measurement and Reporting 129
Bringing It Together: Sequencing the DNA of Impact Investors 138
Mission First and Last Approaches 141
The Mission First and Last Tool Kit 149
4 Symbiosis as Strategy 155
The Practice of Policy Symbiosis 156
Public Sector Innovation in Alignment with the Private Sector 158
The Public Case for Impact Investing 159
The Policy Symbiosis Tool Kit 181
The Five London Principles 191
5 The New Deal 196
The Terrain for the New Deal 196
Myths of Catalytic Capital 200
Four Purposes of Catalytic Capital 203
The Catalytic Capital Tool Kit 222
6 Multilingual Leadership 229
New Skillsets for New Leaders 230
Multilingual Leadership in the Research 232
Multilingual Leadership as Cross-Disciplinary and Collaborative 235
Defining Multilingual Leadership for Impact Investing 239
The Multilingual Leader: From Individual to Team to Firm 243
Building a Multilingual Team: Acquiring Multilingual Capacity 247
The Multilingual Leadership Tool Kit 249
Beyond Impact Investing 254
Part Three Looking Ahead: Trends and Challenges 257
7 The Writing on the Wall 259
8 Concluding Reflections 285
Ongoing Challenges for the Field’s Development 287
Using the Right Tool for the Right Problem 291
The Road Ahead 291
Impact Investor Resource Guide 293
About the Authors 332