The Invention of the Park: Recreational Landscapes from the Garden of Eden to Disney's Magic Kingdom
1. From Ancient Groves to Versailles.
2. The English Landscape Park.
3. City Park: Bringing the Country to the Metropolis.
4. Nature and Recreation in the National Park.
5. Amusement Parks and Theme Parks.
6. Trapping Nature in the Animal Park.
7. Expanding the Park Experience.
Conclusion: The Park Ideal from Paradise to Utopia.
A Guide to Further Reading.
- The authors take a range of ‘parks’, from local town playgrounds to international landmarks such as the Grand Canyon and Disneyland, and explore their origins and social significance.
- The book is a global study, spanning all five continents, and also covering several thousand years - from Eden to Disney.
- Environmental history is a growing field, which lacks good publications. This book is likely to be required reading on such courses. It will also be used on geography, american studies and leisure and tourism courses.
- Very clearly written, with illustrations, suggestions for further reading and full background information throughout.