Part One: Learning and Teaching Reading and Writing.
1. How to Read this Book.
2. Teaching Reading and Writing in English Primary Schools: an Historical Perspective.
3. Writing Systems and the Development of Reading.
4. The Development of Writing.
5. Children for whom English is an Additional Language.
6. The Schools.
Part Two: Three Exceptional Teachers.
An Introduction to Part Two.
- Provides insight into how to develop pedagogy for literacy.
- A creative approach to literacy.
- Includes detailed, practice-based examples.
- Links practice to research-based models of how children learn to read and write.
- Helps plan for linguistic diversity in the classroom.