Introduction: The Paradox of Culture.
1. The Roots of Cultural Logic.
2. Inventing Culture.
3. Instituting Culture.
4. Culture, Critique and Community.
"A tightly argued and coherent account of the conflicting impulses within culture, Ray's study will take its rightful place among the best recent work on the intricacies of culture." John C. O'Neal, Hamilton College
- An original theory, considering culture as a grammar of subjectivity and identity.
- Focuses on material not examined in previous works of this kind - the novel as a genre, the newspapers of the French Revolution, the French Revolutionary debates on public education.
- Addressed to a general international audience.