The Sociology of Masculinity: Stephen Whitehead and Frank Barrett.
Part I: Defining and Locating Masculinities:.
1. The Social Organisation of Masculinity: Bob Connell.
2. Masculinities: Arthur Brittan.
3. Postmodernism and the Interrogation of Masculinity: David S. Gutterman..
Part II: Power, Oppression and Dominance:.
4. The Organizational Construction of Hegemonic Masculinity: The Case of the U.S. Navy: Frank Barrett.
5. The Belly of the Beast: Sex as Male Domination: Lynne Segal.
6. Power and the Language of Men: Scott Fabius Kiesling.
7. Violence, Rape, and Sexual Coercion: everyday love in a South African township: Katherine Wood and Rachel Jewkes.
Part III: Masculinities in the Public Domain:.
8. Naming Men as Men: implications for Work, Organization and Management: David Collinson and Jeff Hearn.
9. Masculinity and and Machismo in Hollywood's War Films: Ralph R. Donald.
10. Masculinity, School, and Self in Sweden and the Netherlands: Alan Segal.
11. Cool Pose: Black Masculinity and Sports: Richard Majors.
Part IV: The Private Lives of Men:.
12. Family, Gender and Masculinities: David H.J. Morgan.
13. The Organization of Intimacy: managerialism, masculinity and the masculine subject: Deborah Kerfoot.
14. Friendship, Intimacy and Sexuality: Michael A. Messner.
15. Masculinity as Homophobia: Fear, Shame and Silence in the Construction of Gender Identity: Michael S. Kimmel.
16. "A Vicarious Sense of Belonging" The Politics of Friendship and Gay Social Movements, Communities, and Neighbourhoods: Peter M. Nardi.
Part V: Endings and Beginnings: The Practices and Politics of Changing Men:.
17. The Crisis of Masculinity and the Politics of Identity: John MacInnes.
18. ‘Crabs in a bucket': reforming male identities in Trinidad: Niels Sampath.
19. "And Ar'n't I a Man?": Toward a Chicano/Latino Men's Studies: Alfredo Mirande.
20. Man - The Invisible Gendered Subject?: Stephen Whitehead.
21. Masculinity Politics on a World Scale: R. W. Connell.
R.W Connell (author of The Men and the Boys, Gender and Power and Masculinities)
- The first ever reader on masculinities
- Examines masculinities from various cultural, national and social perspectives
- Covers all the key themes: Power, Sexuality, Public Men, Private Men, Masculinity in Crisis