Part I: 1920-1935:.
1. Idea and Individual.
2. On Primitive Art.
3. Court Society as a Sociological Problem.
4. The Expulsion of the Huguenots from France.
5. The Kitsch Style and the Age of Kitsch.
Part II: 1935-1940:.
6. An Outline of The Civilizing Process.
7. Kultur and Civilization.
8. The Rise of the Fork.
9. The Sociogenesis of Courts.
10. Civilization and Rationalization.
11. The Society of Individuals - I.
Part III: 1950-1965:.
12. Sociology and Psychiatry.
13. The Naval Profession.
14. Involvement and Detachment.
15. The Society of Individuals - II.
16. The Quest for Excitement in Leisure.
17. Group Charisma and Group Disgrace.
18. The Breakdown of Civilization.
Part IV: 1965-1990:.
19. The Civilizing Process Revisited.
20. The Concept of Figurations.
21. African Art.
22. An Interview in Amsterdam.
23. The Sciences.
24. On the Concept of Everyday Life.
25. The Retreat of Sociologists into the Present.
26. Renate Rubinstein.
27. The Civilizing of Parents.
28. Technization and Civilization.
29. The Society of Individuals - III.
30. Informalization and the Civilizing Process.
31. Mozart's Revolt.
32. The Symbol Theory.
- This much-needed volume introduces Elias's work as a whole to a new generation of scholars and students worldwide
- Includes a large proportion of otherwise inaccessible material
- An extensive, detailed bibliography guides the reader to primary sources in English and German.