List of contributors.
Part I: Impact of Restructuring on Employees and Organizations:.
1. The new organizational reality: transition and renewal: Ronald J. Burke and Cary L. Cooper.
2. The impact of organizational change on UK managers' perceptions of their working lives: Les Worrall, Cary Cooper and Fiona Campbell.
3. Impact on privatization in Portugal: Rita Campos e Cunha.
4. Comparing the downsizing experiences of three countries: a restructuring cycle?: Craig Littler.
5. Sickness absence and organizational downsizing: Mika Kivimaki, Jussi Vahtera, Amanda Griffiths, Tom Cox and Louise Thomson.
Part II: New research Directions:.
6. An empirical examination of a stress-based framework of survivor responses to downsizing: Gretchen M. Spreitzer and Aneil K. Mishra.
7. Gender and job insecurity: Mina Westman.
8. Ethical problems in downsizing: Zehava Rosenblatt and Zachary Schaeffer.
9. Total quality management during downsizing: Marjorie Armstrong-Stasssen.
Part III: The new career reality:.
10. The new employment contract: psychological implications of future work: Paul Sparrow.
11. Down but not out: career trajectories of middle-aged and older workers after downsizing: Daniel C. Feldman.
12. Organizational crisis and change: the new career contract at work: John F. McCarthy and Douglas T. Hall.
13. Eroding organizational social capital among US firms: the price of job instability: Carrie R. Leana and Harry J. Van Buren III.
Part IV: Renewal and Revitalization: Best Practices:.
14. Leading organizations through survivor sickness: a framework for the new millennium: David Noer.
15. Value-based management: a tool for managing change: Todd D. Jick.
16. Coping with mergers and acquisitions: Susan Cartwright and Sarah-Louise Hudson.
17. Organizational restructuring: identifying effective hospital downsizing processes: Ronald J. Burke and Esther R. Greenglass.