The Pastry Chef's Companion: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for the Baking and Pastry Professional
DescriptionAlthough there are many individual books on the subject of pastry, there has never been a single comprehensive resource…until now. With the publication of The Pastry Chef’s Companion, students and professionals alike no longer have to lose time searching for information and resources.
With some 4,800 terms and definitions from around the world plus 10 appendices filled with needed resources, The Pastry Chef’s Companion combines the best features of a dictionary and an encyclopedia. In addition to current definitions of every component of pastry, baking and confectionary arts, this book provides important information about the origin and historical background of many of the terms. This one-stop resource is an essential tool for all culinary and baking & pastry students.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: The Pastry Chef's Companion: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for the Baking and Pastry Professional
Frozen Desserts (Hardcover $65.00)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
How It All Began v
About the Authors viii
Terminology A–Z 1–310
Appendices: Baking Resources
Important Temperatures Every Pastry Chef and Baker Should Know 311
Weight and Volume Equivalents for Most Common Ingredients 315
Sugar Cooking Stages 319
Conversion Formulas and Equivalents 320
Seasonal Fruit Availability 323
The 12 Steps of Baking 325
Classic and Contemporary Flavor Combinations 331
What Went Wrong and Why 351
Specialty Vendors 363
Professional Development Resources 366
- Comprehensive compilation of pastry, baking, and confectionary-arts terms and products and their definitions, origins, and development
- Classic and contemporary flavor trends that reflect today's pastry palette and industry practices
- Coverage of the key factors in the production of quality pastry products
- Listings of specialty vendors, professional organizations, and baking and pastry website resources
- Troubleshooting guide to fixing common baking & pastry problems
- Illustrations of unfamiliar pastry products and equipment
- Phonetic pronunciations