The Portable Guide to Testifying in Court for Mental Health Professionals: An A-Z Guide to Being an Effective Witness
1. Our System of Justice.
2. Involvement in the Judicial System.
3. Lawyers: Their Functions.
4. The Expert Witness.
PART II: TESTIMONY VERSUS THERAPY.
5. Therapist: Two Different Roles.
8. Resolving Conflicts before They Escalate.
PART III: PREPARING FOR TESTIMONY.
10. Preparing for Discovery.
11. Preparing “Ask Me” Questions for the Lawyer.
12. Preparing for Deposition Testimony.
13. Preparing for Courtroom Testimony.
PART IV: IN THE COURTROOM.
14. Testimony Tips.
15. Lawyers’ Tricks.
16. Challenges to the Expert Witness: The Daubert Case.
PART V: THE EXPERT WITNESS’S TOOLS.
17. The Resume: Your Introduction to the Court.
19. Making Sure You Are Compensated.
20. What to Do If You Are Sued.
PART VI: OTHER EXPERT WITNESSES.
21. The School Counselor as a Courtroom Witness.
22. The Forensic Expert.
Appendix A: Useful Web Sites.
Appendix B: Useful Forms.
Example of a Motion to Quash Subpoena.
Example of a Motion for Entry of a Protective Order.
Example of a Qualified Protective Order.
Authorization for the Use and Disclosure of Protected Health Information.
Checklist for Deposition Testimony.
Checklist for Direct Examination for Courtroom Testimony.
Checklist for Cross-Examination.
List of Federal Cases Involving Daubert Challenges of Mental Health Professionals.
Trial Vita (Sample Form).
Employee Evaluation Information and Consent Form.
Home Study Information and Consent Form.
Contract for Forensic Services and Information and Consent Form.