The Quest for Global Dominance: Transforming Global Presence into Global Competitive Advantage, 2nd Edition
DescriptionAnil K. Gupta, Vijay Govindarajan, and Haiyan Wang are among the most distinguished experts in the field of globalization. In The Quest for Global Dominance they present the lessons from their twenty-year study of over two hundred corporations. They argue that, in order for a company to create and maintain its position as a globally dominant player, executives must ensure that their company leads its industry in the following four essential tasks:
- Identifying market opportunities worldwide and pursuing them by establishing the necessary presence in all key markets
- Converting global presence into global competitive advantage by identifying and developing the opportunities for value creation that global presence offers
- Cultivating a global mindset by viewing cultural and geographic diversity as an opportunity, not just a challenge
- Leveraging the rise of emerging markets especially China and India to transform the company's growth prospects, global cost structure, and pace of innovation
Jeffrey E. Garten
1. Rising Up to the Global Challenge 1
2. Building Global Presence 25
3. Lessons from the Globalization of Wal-Mart 57
4. Exploiting Global Presence 79
5. Cultivating a Global Mindset 115
6. Building a Global Knowledge Machine 153
7. Dynamics of Global Business Teams 189
8. Globalizing the Young Venture 217
9. Leveraging China and India for Global Dominance 237
The Authors 279
- Updated data and examples, with a particular focus on bringing in more examples dealing with China and India.
- An update of the Wal-Mart case in comparison with China's Haier Group, and fresh examples and more case studies throughout.
- New chapter titled “Leveraging Emerging Markets for Global Dominance.""
- Online Instructor's Manual.
- Reflects leading-edge thinking on the subject of creating and exploiting global presence
- Offers logic-driven conceptual frameworks that are actionable and have been developed and refined by the authors over the past 15 years in their teaching and consulting work