1. The Age of Side Effects: On the Politicization of Modernity.
2. The Construction of the Other Side of Modernity: Counter-modernization.
3. Subpolitics - The Individual Returns to Society.
4. Ways to Alternative Modernities.
5. The Reinvention of Politics.
6. The Art of Doubt.
'A book that makes a dramatic difference to our understanding of modernity. Beck delivers sociological insight of startling originality with his central image of politics oscillating between modern institutions and counter-modern repudiations. His accounts of the destructive symbiosis between Enlightenment ideals and Romantic shibboleths should inspire fundamental changes in social and political thought.' Ira Cohen, Rutgers University
'Insightful overview of the changing face of modern politics.' The Sociological Review
* Beck's previous books, including The Risk Society, have been highly influential.
* Also offers practical suggestions and well-chosen empirical material.