The Restaurant: From Concept to Operation takes the reader from the initial idea to the grand opening. It features comprehensive, applications-based coverage of all aspects of developing, opening, and running a restaurant. This includes topics such as staffing, legal and regulatory concerns, cost control and general financing, marketing and promotion, equipment and design, the menu, sanitation, and concept. A one-stop guide to the restaurant business, the Seventh Edition of Walker’s, The Restaurant continues the success of previous editions, providing, in an easy-to-read way, all of the skills and information needed to master every challenge and succeed in this highly competitive and rewarding industry. Each chapter has been revised, updated, and enhanced with numerous industry examples, sidebars, charts, tables, photographs, and menus. Greater emphasis is placed on restaurant business plans, restaurant management, and restaurant operations. The themes of sustainability and sustainable restaurant management have been added throughout. The Seventh Edition includes new sections on purchasing meat, cocktails, and the early history of eating out. All of this information will help restaurant owners make the decisions necessary to build a thriving business.
- A Case Study has been added to each chapter: These new case studies will help improve student’s critical thinking skills.
- A new section on Pop-Ups, Food Trucks, gluten-free cooking, and menu items is now included
- Examples and discussions of new restaurant concepts and their founders are now included.
- A new section on food allergy safety precautions and properly training staff to handle allergy attacks is now included.
- An updated discussion on how it’s easy being “green”: The themes of sustainability and sustainable restaurant management have been updated throughout this new edition.
- An updated and extended section on purchasing meat has been added to Chapter 6: Food Purchasing.
- Additional emphasis on restaurant business plans, restaurant management, training, and restaurant operations is included in this new edition.
- Comprehensive and reader friendly approach to all the basics
- Takes readers step-by-step through the complicated process of planning, creating, and opening any type of restaurant
- Includes information on topics such as staffing, legal and regulatory concerns, cost control and general financing, marketing and promotion, kitchen planning and design, the menu, sanitation and concept
- Strong pedagogical features such as learning objectives, key terms and concepts, and review questions in each chapter
- Includes up-to-date restaurant profiles, as well as sidebars offering advice, charts, tables, photographs and menus