DescriptionA complete and easy to understand guide to the fundamentals of how not-for-profit organizations are formed and run, as well as their structure and the unique accounting and reporting issues they face.
Providing you with a comprehensive understanding of how to maintain the "books" of a typical nonprofit entity and comply with numerous reporting requirements, The Simplified Guide to Not-for-Profit Accounting, Formation & Reporting equips you with everything you need to know to form a Not-For-Profit, setup an accounting system, record financial transactions and report to donors and regulatory bodies.
- Step-by-step guide to forming a Not-For-Profit and applying for tax exemption
- Becoming familiar with unique Not-For-Profit accounting rules such as classifying contributions/grants and recording restrictions, allocation of expenses to programs and supporting services and investment classification and reporting
- Budget development, payroll processing and accounting for personnel costs
- Shows how to prepare and understand required Not-For-Profit financial statement and their components
- Provides you with a broad understanding of the numerous filing requirement required by donors, grantors and government regulatory agencies
Practical and comprehensive in scope, The Simplified Guide to Not-for-Profit Accounting, Formation & Reporting offers a wealth of practical information to accountants and non-accountants alike for understanding Not-For-Profit financial transactions, financial statements and the many internal and external reports they must prepare.
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION.
CHAPTER 2 NFP ORGANIZATION FORMATION.
CHAPTER3 NFP ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE.
CHAPTER 4 INTRODUCTION TO NFP ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING.
CHAPTER 5 NFP ACCOUNTING SYSTEM AND FINANCIAL STATEMENTS.
CHAPTER 6 ASSETS — CONCEPTS AND DATA FLOW.
CHAPTER 7 LIABILITIES AND NET ASSETS —CONCEPTS AND DATA FLOW.
CHAPTER 8 ACCOUNTING FOR SUPPORT AND REVENUE.
CHAPTER 9 ACCOUNTING FOR PERSONNEL COSTS AND OTHER EXPENSES.
CHAPTER 10 INVESTMENTS, POOLING AND SPLIT-INTEREST AGREEMENTS.
CHAPTER 11 SUBSIDIARIES AND INTERRELATED ENTITIES.
CHAPTER 12 BUDGET DEVELOPMENT AND APPLICATIONS.
CHAPTER 13 SPECIAL TYPES OF NFP ORGANIZATIONS.
CHAPTER 14 REGULATORY REPORTING (990, 990-T AND 990-PF).
CHAPTER 15 CONTRIBUTION/GRANT APPLICATIONS AND REPORTING.
CHAPTER 16 AUDITS – PREPARATION AND RESPONSE.
CHAPTER 17 CONCLUSION.
APPENDIX A TAX-EXEMPT ORGANIZATION REFERENCE CHART.
APPENDIX B SAMPLE NFP CHART OF ACCOUNTS.
APPENDIX C ABBREVIATIONS
About the Author.