1. The Third Way and its Critics.
2. Social Democracy and the Third Way.
3. Government, the State and Economic Strategy.
4. The Question of Inequality.
5. Taking Globalisation Seriously.
'This is a crucial period for the European Union. We need new thinking about democracy and economic development. Tony Giddens gives us some vital clues about how to achieve these aims.' Romano Prodi, President of the European Commission
'The third way debate has become a truly world-wide one, affecting all countries. It has shown a convergence of ideas, together with a diversity of policies. This book marks a major further development in the evolution of the left.' Fernando Henrique Cardoso, President of Brazil
'Anthony Giddens has done more than most to insert globalization into the modern-day political vocabulary. His The Third Way and its Critics is essential reading for anyone wanting to understand new Labour.' Mark Perryman, New Statesman
'Giddens aims his new book specifically at critics on the left. It begins with an excellent summary of their views: with impressive honesty they are forcefully advanced rather than caricatured ... This book is written in a lively manner and discusses much interesting and important material.' Democratization
* Develops arguments laid out in 'The Third Way' in new and original ways
* Illustrates how third way politics can address fundamental issues such as inequalities of of wealth and power
* An essential text for anyone who wants to be informed about key discussions taking place across the UK, Europe and the World.