The Uses Of Sociology: Introduction: Peter Hamilton And Kenneth Thompson.
1. Mapping The Field: Peter Hamilton.
2. Sociology And Government: Tony Bennett.
3. The Public Sphere: Jim Mcguigan.
4. Tools For Commerce? Sociology And Economic Life: Elizabeth Mcfall.
5. Sociology And Social Movements: Theories, Analyses And Ethical Dilemmas: Merl Storr.
6. Sociology Unbound: Karim Murji.
7. Understanding The Past And Predicting The Future: Sociologists And Prophets: Kenneth Thompson.
Readings In The Uses Of Sociology.
Auguste Comte: The Positive Philosophy (1853).
Robert A. Nisbet: Sociology As An Art Form (1968).
C. Wright Mills: The Sociological Imagination (1959).
Zygmunt Bauman: Legislators And Interpreters (1987).
Michel Foucault: Governmentality (1991).
Anne Witz: The Feminist Challenge (1997).
John Urry: Sociology As A Parasite: Some Vices And Virtues (1981).
- Explores questions concerning the usefulness of sociology and the problems involved in engaging in social intervention.
- Includes readings which students can use to evaluate the usefulness of different sociological perspectives.
- Compares and contrasts different sociological traditions, and their engagements with ‘the social'.
- Forms part of a four-book series on sociology and society.
For more information about this book and the Sociology & Society series, visit the accompanying website at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/ou