1. The Structure of Industrial Societies: The Joint Characteristics and Shortcomings of State Socialist Societies and Democratic Capitalism.
2. Prosperity, Nation, Republic: Modes of Societal Integration and the Unique German Journey from Socialism to Capitalism.
3. Capitalism by Democratic Design? Democratic Theory Facing the Triple Transition in East Central Europe.
4. Ethnic Politics in East European Transitions.
5. Disqualification, Retribution, Restitution: Dilemmas of Justice in Post-Communist Transitions.
6. The Morality of Restitution: Reflections on Some Normative Questions Raised by the Transition to a Private Economy (with Frank Bönker).
7. A 'Special Path' of Transformation? The German 'Accession Territory' Compared with its East European Neighbours.
8. Economic 'Hardware' and Institutional 'Software' in the two German Transitions to Democracy: Comparing Post-1945 West Germany with Post-1989 East Germany.
9. The Left after the West's Victory.
"One of the main virtues of Offe's book is that it does bring the West into the frame of analysis, not simply as a fixed and unquestioned standard by means of which to judge postcommunist "progress" - but as an active player in the transition process." Times Higher Education Supplement
"Claus Offe's collection of essays (some of them already familiar) could well provide the essential handbook to the aspiring transitologist." International Affairs
"This is more a collection of essays on these various important themes than a book focusing on a single issue. It is indeed the characteristic of Claus Offe's book that, instead of a single thread in his analysis, it covers a great variety of themes. This is one of the riches of the book." Economic Systems
"This book promises to become a seminal work in the study of regime transition. Offe's work is inspiring, demanding, irritating, brilliant. Essential reading." Political Studies
"This is a stimulating and interesting book which can be recommended for courses on transition and development." Europe-Asia Studies
"This is probably the best book yet to be written placing eastern Germany in the broader context of post-communist transition ... [It] will provide a useful teaching aid for use with undergraduate students." German Politics
"Offe has delivered an exceptional synthesis of his views about the subject." Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management
- Offe is one of the foremost social scientists today; this book brings together his key writings
- A timely and important account of the process of political and social transformation in East Germany and Eastern Europe.