This is the nineteenth volume in an annual series in which leading economists provide a concise and accessible evaluation of major developments in trade and trade policy.
- Examines key issues pertinent to the multinational trading system, as well as regional trade arrangements and policy developments at the national level
- Includes chapters exploring WTO issues, and agricultural trading issues
- Provides up-to-date assessments of the World Trade Organization's current Trade Policy Reviews
- Analyses global trade policy in areas such as Australia and Sri Lanka, and includes special sections on both China and Malaysia
- A vital resource for researchers, analysts and policy-advisors interested in trade policy and other open economy issues
Notes on Contributors vi
TRADE POLICY REVIEWS
1 Australian Trade Policy Strategy Contradictions SHIRO ARMSTRONG 1
2 Trade Policy Review for China: Continuing Globalisation Amidst the World Financial Crisis
SHUJIE YAO AND CHANG LIU 13
3 Sri Lanka’s Trade Policy: Reverting to Dirigisme?
PREMA-CHANDRA ATHUKORALA 31
SPECIAL FEATURE ON MALAYSIA
4 Malaysia: A Success Story Stuck in the Middle?
HAL HILL, THAM S. YEAN AND RAGAYAH H. M. ZIN 57
CURRENT ISSUES IN CHINA
5 Zhu Rongji Might Be Right: Understanding the Mechanism of Fast Economic Development in China JUN ZHANG 83
6 China and the World Trading System
AADITYA MATTOO AND ARVIND SUBRAMANIAN 103
7 Chinese Networks and Tariff Evasion
LORENZO ROTUNNO AND PIERRE-LOUIS VÉZINA 143
8 Trading Partners, Traded Products and Firm Performances of China’s Exporter-Importers: Does Processing Trade Make a Difference?
ZHENG WANG AND ZHIHONG YU 165