DescriptionThis much-needed volume draws on a wide range of resources and some of the freshest talent in the field to examine debates about theology and sexuality. Material is drawn from a variety of ancient, medieval, modern and contemporary texts to provide readers with a broad perspective on the issues discussed.
Part I: How and How Not to Think Theologically About the Body.
1. Embodiment in Time and Eternity: A Syriac Perspective. (Susan A. Harvey).
2. The Appeal to Experience. (George P. Schner, SJ.).
Part II: Liturgical Resources.
3. The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage: from The Book of Common Prayer.
4. The Betrothal Service: from the Service Book of the Holy Orthodox-Catholic Apostolic Church.
5. Order of Second Marriage: from the Service Book of the Holy Orthodox-Catholic Apostolic Church.
6. Office of Same-Sex Union: from Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe.
7. Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day: from The Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols.
Part III: Classical Resources.
8. From The Good of Marriage. ( St. Augustine of Hippo).
9. From Homily I on Marriage.( St. John Chrysostom).
10. From Against the Opponents of the Monastic Life.( St. John Chrysostom).
11. Hymns of Divine Love, 15. (St. Symeon the New Theologian).
12. From Commentary on Romans. (St. Thomas Aquinas).
13. From The Spiritual Canticle. (St. John of the Cross).
14. Freedom for Community. (Karl Barth).
15. From The Epistle to the Romans Karl Barth.
Part IV: Contemporary Philosophical Resources.
16. Sexual Perversion. (Thomas Nagel).
17. Moral Abominations. (Jeffrey Stout).
Part V: Nuptial Hermeneutics, Or What Marriage Means.
18. The Crisis of an Ethic Without Desire. Sebastian Moore.
19. From The Original Unity of Man and Woman. (Pope John Paul II).
20. From The Sacrament of Love Paul Evdokimov.
21. Faithfulness. (Robert Jenson).
22. The Relationship of Bodies: A Nuptial Hermeneutics of Same-Sex Unions. (David Matzko McCarthy).
23. Sanctification, Homosexuality, and God's Triune Life. (Eugene F. Rogers, Jr.).
Part VI: Catholic Controversies.
24. Letter to the Catholic Bishops on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons: Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
25. The Pope Converts. (Mark D. Jordan).
26. Alone Again, Naturally. (Andrew Sullivan).
27. Gay Friendship: A Thought Experiment in Catholic Moral Theology. (Stanley Hauerwas).
Part VII: Trinitarian Resources.
28. The Body's Grace. (Rowan D. Williams).
29. Trinitarian Friendship: Same-Gender Models of Godly Love. (Marilyn McCord Adams).
Part VIII: Anthropology and Christology.
30. Sanctifying Nearness. (Thomas Breidenthal).
31. [Logos and Biography]. (John Boswell).
32. [Marriage and Idolatry]. (Charles Hawes).
Part IX: Ecclesial Voices.
33. Disputed Questions: Debate and Discernment, Scripture and the Spirit. (Luke Timothy Johnson).
34. Homosexuality in the Church: Can There Be a Fruitful Theological Debate? (Oliver O'Donovan).
35. Theology Among the Stones and Dust. (James Alison).
Appendix: Biblical Resources.
"The readings offer thoughtful reflections on the meanings of the body, homosexuality, marriage, and the interpretation of scripture. The book should inform the debate in a helpful way." Church Times
"Those seeking information to guide them around the contemporary debate in the church about sexuality will welcome the publication of Theology and Sexuality." Expository Times
"...a valuable resource for anyone who wants to think through the fundamental questions it poses: 'What does God want with sex, anyway?'" The Way
- Includes classic and contemporary readings from Protestantism, Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy and the Enlightenment.
- Presents arguments from scripture, tradition, the nature of the church and the means of grace, rather than from experience.
- Organised under theological headings rather than in a ‘for and against' format.
- Includes previously untranslated material by Thomas Aquinas and Karl Barth.