1. Early Capitalism:.
Classical Political Economy and Marx.
2. The Expansion of Capitalism:.
Colonialism and Imperialism.
3. Late Capitalism:.
Modernization and the Economic Commission for Latin America.
4. Dependency, Unequal Exchange and Underdevelopment.
5. Dependency, Industrialization and Development.
6. Latin American Dependency and Historical Materialism: A Theoretical Challenge.
'...[a] cogent and incisive introduction to certain key traditions ... a valuable addition to the existing textbooks on the subject.' Sociology
'This is just the kind of stimulating, thought-provoking and informed book which will be most useful to both teachers and students.' Tom Bottomore
- Provides an up-to-date account of leading theories of development
- The author connects theoretical interpretation with empirical application (deriving from his extensive studies of Latin America)
- The book is very readable, wide-ranging and incisive.