ISBN: 978-0-745-61565-3 February 1998 Polity 256 Pages
Download Product Flyer
Table of contents
1. The Presociological Child.
2. The Sociological Child.
Part II: Situating Childhood. .
3. Childhood in Social Space.
4. The Temporality of Childhood.
5. Play as Childhood Culture?.
6. Working Children.
7. One Childhood or Many?.
8. The Body and Childhood.
9. Researching Childhood.
Part III: Theorizing Childhood.
10. Theorizing Childhood.
'This new book is a spring of inspiration. Theorizing Childhood addresses in a superb way the main, if not all, relevant approaches within the 'new sociology of childhood'. It demonstrates brilliantly the salience of this new field both for what it can learn from the general body of knowledge and for what it can itself contribute to modern social science...no scholar in this or neighbouring fields can afford not to read and digest it.' Jens Qvortrup, South Jutland University Centre
'The framework developed here is potentially an extremely powerful one, with enormous potential to stimulate and focus our thinking about childhood - and in particular our research' Social Work & Social Sciences Review
* The three authors are highly respected and widely read in this area.
* The book draws together an enormous amount of international research.