Therapeutic Immunology, 2nd Edition
Therapeutic Immunology, 2nd Edition
Mar 2001, Wiley-Blackwell
DescriptionTherapeutic Immunology is a comprehensive review of the clinical application of the drugs, biologic agents, and procedures used to treat immunologic diseases. It is the only reference that provides current information on antibodies, cytokines, gene and cell therapies, vaccines, and other therapeutic approaches in the managament of immune system disorders. This book will show how immunology has come of age as a clinical discipline and is now able to provide treatment strategies for many previously incurable diseases.
Part I: Introduction.
1. Adaptive Immunity. (Emil R. Unanue).
2. Innate Immunity and Instruction of the Adaptive Immune Response. (Douglas T. Fearon).
Part II: Drugs.
3. Cyclophosphamide. (Alfred D. Steinberg).
4. The Purine Antagonists: Azathioprine and Mycophenolate Mofetil. (Nina E. Tolkoff-Rubin and Robert H. Rubin).
5. Methotrexate. (Michael E. Weinblatt).
6. Immunosupression and Immunophilin Binding Agents: Current research and Clinical Applications. (Shairaz Baksh, Jeff Friedman, Steven J. Burakoff, and Barbara E. Bierer).
7. Glucocorticoid Action. (Jeffrey N. Miner and Myles Brown).
8. Cyclooxygenase Inhibitors. (William L. Smith and David L. DeWitt).
9. Antileukotrienes (Leukotriene Modifiers) in the treatment of Asthma. (Jeffrey M. Drazen).
10. Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors. (Nicky Cooper, Mamidipudi Thirumala Krishna, Robrt Gristwood, and Stephen Holgate.
11. Tryptase Inhibitors. (Andrew F. Walls).
12. 5-Aminosalicylic Acid (Mesalamine)and Sulfasalazine. (Richard P. MacDeDermott.
13. Antihistamines (H-Receptor Antagonists). (F. Estelle R. Simons).
Part III: Biologic Agents.
14. Hematopoietic Growth Factors.
15. Cytokines Regulating Immune Inflammation: Interleukin-4, Interleukin-10, and Interleukin-12. (Richard N. Mitchell and Abul K. Abbas).
16. The Interferons: Basic Biology and Therapeutic Potential. (Vijay Shankaran and Robert D. Schreiber)'.
17. Interleukin-2 Immunostimulation. (Kendall A. Smith).
18. A Soluble TNF Receptor-FC Fusion Protein (Etanercept) in the Treatment of Inflammatory Diseases. (Michael b. Widmer, Leslie Garrison, and Kendall M. Mohler).
19. Intravenous Immunoglobulin Therapy. (Francisco A. Bonilla and Raif S. Geha).
20. Therapeutic Inhibition of Complement Actiation with Emphasis on Drugs in Clinical Trails. (Lloyd B. Klickstein, Francis D. Moore, Jr., and John P. Atkinson).
21. Treatment of Angioedema Resulting from C1-Inhibitor Deficiency. A. Thomas Waytes and Fred S. Rosen).
22. Inhibitors of Tumor Necrosis Factor. (Arthur F. Kavanaugh and Peter E. Lipsky).
23. Targeting the IL-2 Receptor with Antibodies or Chimeric Toxins. (Terry B. Strom).
24. Monoclonal Antibodies to CD3. (Lucienne Chatenoud).
25. Anti-IgE: Immunotherapy for Allergic Diseases. (Donald MacGlashan, Jr.).
26. Specific and nonspecific Immunotherapy for Asthma and Allergic Diseases. (M. Larche and A.B. Kay).
27. Treatment o Allergy to Insect Stings. (Martin D. Valentine).
28. The CD28 T-Cell Costimulatory Pathway: Pharmacologic Inhibition and Augmentation. (Carl H. June and Jeffrey A. Ledbetter).
29. Bacterial Vaccines. (Hilde-Kari Guttormsen and Dennis L. Kasper).
30. Viral Vaccines. (Ronald W. Ellis).
31. DNA Vaccines. (Harriet L. Robinson).
32. Blockade of the CD30L/CD40 Pathway. (Leonard Chess).
PART IV: Maneuvers.
33. Renal Transplantation. (Manikkam Suthanthiran and Terry B. Strom).
34. Pancreas Transplantation. (Michael E. Shapiro).
35. Cardiac Transplantation. (Abdallah G. Kfoury, David O. Taylor, and Dale G. Renlund).
36. Lung Transplantation. (Steven J. Mentzer and Scott J. Swanson).
37. Hemopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. (Voravit Ratanatharanthorn and James L. M. Ferrara).
38. Cell Transplantation. (Luca Inverardi, Alberto Pugliese, and Camillo Ricordi).
39. Liver Transplantation. (Robert Gedaly, James J. Pomposelli, and Roger L. Jenkins).
40. Xenotransplantation. (Tomasz Sablinski, David K. C. Cooper, and David H. Sachs).
41. Cellular Therapy. (Philip D. Greenberg adn Stanley R. Riddell).
42. Genetically Engineered Cancer Vaccines. (Glenn Dranoff).
43. Gene Therapy for Inherited Immunodeficiencies.
44. Plasmapheresis and Immunoadsorption. (Sian Griffin, C. Martin Lockwood, and Charles D. Pusey).
45. Drug Therapy of HIV Infection. (John P. Doweiko and Jerome E. Groopman).
* total revision including 14 new chapters and 36 new contributors.
* organized by three classes of therapy: Drugs (e.g. corticosteroids), Biologic Agents (e.g. cytokines), and Maneuvers (e.g. transplantation).
* covers the full spectrum of therapeutic interventions.
* incorporates coverage of scientific research with the discussion of clinical application.
* edited by experts from four Harvard hospitals.