To understand and profit from Total Quality Management, companies must pay particular attention to the first word in the phrase-total. The spectacular rewards enjoyed by top companies like 3M, FedEx, and Ben & Jerry's were earned through a total commitment to achieving superior quality and customer satisfaction across all company functions and processes.
Total Quality Management, Second Edition gives you a completely up-to-date look at how 51 of the world's most successful companies put the total into TQM. Each of these companies, including 13 new additions and 23 Baldrige Award winners, is cited as a benchmark performer in a particular business function. Their examples help you set your sights on specific goals and learn a variety of ways to go about achieving each goal. Each chapter features the best practices of one manufacturing company, one service company, and one small business. Following the examples set by these overachievers, you'll discover how to:
* Lead the transition from traditional management to management by quality
* Identify customer needs and use that knowledge to drive the organization
* Integrate strategic quality and business planning into a single strategic process
* Communicate customer and company requirements throughout your organization
* Recognize and reward employee efforts and promote improved quality
* Establish uniform measurement systems and manage by fact, not fiction
* Borrow shamelessly from industry leaders to encourage breakthrough thinking
* Build strengths and eliminate weaknesses through an annual assessment process.
Fully updated-the book that puts the total into.
Total Quality Management.
In this book, the former chairman of the Baldrige Award panel of judges teams up once again with a leading quality consultant to bring you a Baldrige-based TQM model that covers every aspect of your business. Built from the best practices of 51 companies (including 23 Baldrige Award winners) whose star performances have made them benchmark corporations, this book brings you:
* Best practices and TQM applications from small businesses, huge corporations, and everything in between
* TQM practices from retail stores, service companies, manufacturers, and more
* Hundreds of real-world examples, tested processes, and innovative techniques
* Proven ways to boost profits, inspire workers, and delight customers.
Praise for the First Edition
"Alive . . . vivid, entertaining, successful. . . . Even the most inexperienced can understand and implement TQM using this book."-Charles A. Aubrey Vice President, Juran Institute.
"If you read only one book about quality management, read this one . . . the definitive management handbook of the decade."-Lynn A. Moline Former Executive Director, Minnesota Council for Quality.
"A great book about a better way to run a company."-Bob G. Gower President and CEO, Lyondell Petrochemical Co.
"Packed with strategies that can be implemented in any organization . . . must reading for those interested in proven quality strategies."-Ellen Gaucher Senior Associate Director, University of Michigan Medical Center
"Get it. This book is jammed full of practical case studies from a management and profitability perspective."-C. Jackson Grayson Jr. Chairman, American Productivity and Quality Center.
Supplemented with an updated list of resources and a contact list for all profiled companies, Total Quality Management, Second Edition shows you how to lead your organization straight to the cutting edge of quality and keep it there.
Table of contents
The New Management Model.
Reward and Recognition.
Design of Products and Services.
Data Collection and Analysis.
Corporate Responsibility and Citizenship.
Crossing the River: The Transition to the New Management Model.