DescriptionThe 12th Edition of Tourism: Principles, Practices, Philosophies explores major concepts in tourism, what makes tourism possible, and how tourism can become an important factor in the wealth of any nation. Written in global terms, it provides an overview of the principles, practices, and philosophies that affect the cultural, social, economic, psychological, and marketing aspects of human travel and the tourism industry. Among the topics given expanded coverage in this edition are: B&Bs, time shares, meetings and conventions, sustainable tourism, climate change, social media, and mobile marketing.
Chapter 2: Tourism Through the Ages.
Chapter 3: Career Opportunities.
Chapter 4: World, National, Regional and Other Organizations.
Chapter 5: Passenger Transportation.
Chapter 6: Hospitality and Related Services.
Chapter 7: Organizations in the Distribution Process.
Chapter 8: Attractions, Recreation, and Other Tourist Draws.
Chapter 9: Motivation for Pleasure Travel.
Chapter 10: Cultural and International Tourism for Life's Enrichment.
Chapter 11: Sociology of Tourism.
Chapter 12: Tourism Components and Supply.
Chapter 13: Measuring and Forecasting Demand.
Chapter 14: Tourism's Economic Impact.
Chapter 15: Tourism Policy: Structure, Content, and Process.
Chapter 16: Tourism Planning, Development, and Social Considerations.
Chapter 17: Tourism and the Environment.
Chapter 18: Travel and Tourism Research.
Chapter 19: Tourism Marketing.
Chapter 20: Tourism's Future.
- New section on culinary tourism
- New information on transportation options, including the airline industry, and updated cruise industry
- New information on technology, convention centers, arenas, stadium, and public facilities management jobs
- Updates on passport, visa, and governmental policies
- New material on social media, blogs, and podcasting
- Additional coverage of crisis management throughout the book
- A new look at the future of travel
- Authorship: Charles Goeldner and J.R. Brent Ritchie are internationally known for their work in travel and tourism
- Color Insert: Revised and expanded to two 16-page four-color inserts
- Most comprehensive coverage of travel and tourism
- Defines the university-level Introduction to Tourism course
- Profiles of travel industry leaders
- Global Insights cover timely and interesting topics intended to serve as a stimulus for discussion