Transgressing the Modern: Explorations in the Western Experience of Otherness
DescriptionThis book provides the most concise, accessible account yet available of modern Western cultural and social explorations of 'other' forms or aspects of life that are devalued or coded as unacceptable, even unthinkable, in the modern ethos.
Part I: The Civilising Imperative.
1. Carnival Pleasures and The Spectre of Misrule.
2. Manners and Morals: The Civilisation of Culture.
Part II: Modernity and its Others.
3. Exotic Encounters: Savagery, Civilisation and the Imperial Other.
4. The Alienated Mind: Reason and The Exile of Madness.
5. Modernity's Sphinx: Woman as Nature and Culture.
6. The Rape and Romance of 'Nature'.
7. Forbidden Desires: Taboo, Transgression and Sexuality.
Part III: Continuities, Challenges, Transformations.
8. Blacks, Whites and Hybrids.
9. Postmodern Possibilities: Alienating The Modern.
Guide to Further Reading.
* Broad interdisciplinary appeal.
* Concise, lively, approachable style