DescriptionCovering all the major tropical diseases that present a health risk to travelers, this book is an invaluable resource for all practitioners who encounter the post travel patient. With emphasis on clinical signs, diagnosis and treatment, it is the first book to summarize the knowledge of post travel presentations in the otherwise non-immune and non-endemic population and will aid clinicians to evaluate travelers’ symptoms.
The book is divided into three parts. The first is an overview of key aspects of travel medicine; the second contains a detailed discussion of multiple viral, bacterial and parasitic infections. The third part provides a syndromic approach to patients with common travel complaints such as diarrhea, fever and respiratory infections. It also includes useful appendices with lists of anti-parasitic drugs and available diagnostic tests.
Part I: Tropical Diseases in Travelers: General Aspects:.
1. Introduction: Eli Schwartz.
2. The Art of Travel Medicine a Century Ago: Eli Schwartz.
3. Epidemiology of Post-Travel Illness: Pamela Rendi-Wagner and Eli Schwartz.
4. Travelers as Sentinels for Disease Occurrence in Destination Countries: David O. Freedman and Eli Schwartz.
5. VFR (Visiting Friends and Relatives) Travelers: Phyllis E. Kozarsky and Jay S. Keystone.
6. Post-Tropical Screening: Joanna Herman and Peter L. Chiodini.
Part II: Specific Infections:.
7. Dengue Fever: Eli Schwartz.
8. West Nile Fever: Michal Chowers.
9. Japanese Encephalitis in Travelers: John Simon.
10. Yellow Fever, and Yellow Fever Vaccine–Associated Disease: Elizabeth D. Barnett.
11. Chikungunya: An Emerging Disease in Travelers: Fabrice Simon, Elodie Vivier and Philippe Parola.
12. Ross River Virus: Joseph Torresi.
13. Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers: Annelies Wilder-Smith.
14: Rabies and the Traveler: Henry Wilde and Thiravat Hemachudha.
15: Hepatitis A and E: The Enterically Transmitted Hepatitis: Nancy Piper Jenks and Eli Schwartz.
16. Typhoid and Paratyphoid Fever: Eli Schwartz.
17. Bacterial Diarrhea: Herbert L. DuPont.
18. Rickettsial Diseases: Mogens Jensenius and Philippe Parola.
19: Relapsing Fever: Gil Sidi and Eli Schwartz.
20. Leptospirosis: Eyal Leshem and Eli Schwartz.
21. Malaria in Travelers: Epidemiology, Clinical Aspects and Treatment: Eli Schwartz.
22. Malaria Diagnosis in Travelers: R. Scott Miller.
23. Malaria–Prevention: Eli Schwartz.
24. Schistosomiasis: Eli Schwartz.
25. Filarial Infections: Thomas B. Nutman.
26. Human Trypanosomiasis: African and American Tryponasomiasis (Chagas): Johannes A. Blum.
27. Cystic Echinococcosis: Enrico Brunetti.
28. Neurocysticercosis: Eli Schwartz.
29. Histoplasmosis and and Other Endemic Fungal Infections: Michael J. Segel and Eli Schwartz.
30. Intestinal Protozoa: Giardia, Amebiasis, Cyclospora, Blastocsystis Hominis, Dientamoeba Fragilis and Cryptosporidium Parvum: Karin Leder.
31. Intestinal Helminths: Strongyloides stercoralis, Ascaris Lumbricoides, Hookworm, Trichuris Trichiuria, Enterobius Vermicularis, Trichinella, Intestinal Tapeworms and Liver Flukes: Karin Leder.
32. Leishmaniasis: Eli Schwartz.
33. Ectoparasites: Myiasis, Tungiasis, Scabies: Eli Schwartz and Eric Caumes.
34. Helminthic Skin Diseases in Travelers: Eric Caumes.
35. Delusional Parasitosis: Eli Schwartz, Jay Keystone and Henry Abramovitch.
Part III: Syndromic Approach:
36. An Approach to the Patient with Post-travel Diarrhea: Eli Schwartz and Bradley A. Connor.
37. Approach to the Patient with Fever: Eli Schwartz.
38. Approach to Returning Travelers with Skin Lesions: Eric Caumes.
39. Approach to Travel-Related Eosinophilia: Eyal Meltzer and Eli Schwartz.
40. Approach to Patients with Protracted Rheumatological Manifestations: Eli Schwartz and Michael Ehrenfeld.
41. Travel Related Respiratory Infections: Eyal Meltzer and Eli Schwartz.
42: Neurological Signs and Symptoms in Travelers: Einar P. Wilder-Smith and Annelies Wilder-Smith.
43. Closing Remarks: Eli Schwartz.
A. Useful Anti-Parasitic Drugs.
B. Diagnostic Tests Available for Tropical Diseases.
- The first book to deal with the increasing issue of tropical diseases in travellers
- Supported and endorsed by the International Society of Travel Medicine with contributors from around the world
- Covers all the major tropical diseases that present a health risk to travellers, with emphasis on clinical signs, diagnosis and treatment
- Useful appendices containing lists of anti-parasitic drugs and available diagnostic tests