2. Definite Descriptions and Other Objects of Wonder.
3. Truth and Meaning: the Tarskian Paradigm.
4. Foundations of Intentional Semantics.
5. Language and Context.
6. Language in Action.
"This is a first-rate introduction to the topics and philosophers it covers, from Frege through theories of truth to intentional semantics, the metaphysics of modality, translation, language in action, speech acts, and more. The book is well-written, clear, accessible, and thorough. Many students will be stimulated to explore the issues further, and will have a solid base from which to do so." John F. Post, Vanderbilt University
* Accessible to both undergraduate and more advanced students of philosophy.
* Includes many "sidebars" which expand on points made in the main text which may be either skipped or included.
* More technically demanding sections are summarized.