DescriptionWhat is Sociolinguistics? is a tour through the major issues that define the field, such as region, status, gender, time, language attitudes, interaction, and style, while also exploring the sociolinguistics of multilingualism, culture and ethnicity, language contact, and education, all introduced with excitement, humor, and deep knowledge.
- Explores the sociolinguistics of multilingualism, culture and ethnicity, language contact, and education
- Provides useful and clear learning features including numerous innovative exercises and project ideas, spotlighted research readings, glossary terms, chapter summaries, and text boxes
The Companion Website for Instructors (www.wiley.com/go/vanherkprofs) has PowerPoint slides for each chapter with suggestions for framing class discussions and exercises, further examples on concepts discussed in the book, tips on additional readings to bring in, and ready-to-go slides for class presentation.
The Companion Website for Students (www.wiley.com/go/vanherk) includes links for every chapter from standard sociolinguistic tools to links designed to spark discussion relevant to each chapter, including video clips, oral histories, articles, and more.
List of Boxes xi
Research in the Spotlight xiv
Companion Website xvi
1. Introduction 1
2. Language and Society 10
3. Place 25
4. Social Status 47
5. Time 60
6. Ethnicity 75
7. Gender and Identity 85
8. Style 104
9. Interaction 116
10. Multilingualism 127
11. Language Contact 136
12. Attitudes and Ideologies 148
13. Language as a Social Entity 161
14. Education 175
15. What is Sociolinguistics? 188