Abbreviations in References to Works by Wittgenstein ix
Introduction to the Revised Edition xi
1 Biographical Sketch of Wittgenstein’s Philosophy 1
2 The Legacy of Frege and Russell 15
3 The Criticism of Principia 35
4 The Picture Theory of the Proposition 44
5 The Metaphysics of Logical Atomism 58
6 The Dismantling of Logical Atomism 82
7 Anticipation, Intentionality and Verification 96
8 Understanding, Thinking and Meaning 111
9 Language-Games 126
10 Private Languages 141
11 On Scepticism and Certainty 160
12 The Continuity of Wittgenstein’s Philosophy 173
Suggestions for Further Reading 184
--Michael Morris, University of Sussex
'…Sir Anthony’s remains the most useful critical introduction to Wittgenstein’s life and thought. The updated introduction is more than welcome. Among students and, especially, teachers of Wittgenstein, the long-awaited re-release of this classic is cause for celebration.'
--Richard Kortum, East Tennessee State University
- A revised edition of Sir Anthony Kenny’s classic introduction to Wittgenstein.
- Widely praised for providing a lucid and historically informed account of Wittgenstein’s core philosophical concerns.
- Demonstrates the continuity between Wittgenstein’s early and later writings.
- Provides a persuasive argument for the unity of Wittgenstein’s thought.
- Includes an extensive new introduction outlining developments in Wittgenstein scholarship since the book was first published.
- Kenny also assesses Wittgenstein’s influence in the latter part of the twentieth century.